Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
1. What is TourOp ?
TourOp is a complete software architecture for tour operators. It allows users to create (tailor-made) travel quotations, follow them up, book them, print vouchers, follow availabilities, make different quote versions, print contracts, print travel information, keep track of rates, etc.
TourOp comes to its full right in travel industries that operate in a niche, acting as a flexible and service-minded alternative to the major players on the market. TourOp focuses on extreme time-efficiency for (tailor-made) quotations, saving up to 80% of working hours that were otherwise necessary to make up the quotations. TourOp is a desk program for intense daily use, is meant for all your quotation handling, and thus playing the major role in your company's daily business activity and customer communication.
2. What is TourOp not ?
TourOp is no accountancy software. You can not keep track of your incoming or outgoing bills. TourOp is not ideal for tour operators whose main activity are pre-packaged journeys. TourOp is not suitable for very large tour operators. You can not perform payments. You can not make invoices with TourOp, or link it to accountancy or banking programs.
3. Who are TourOp users ?
TourOp users are typically the employees of a tour operator. But this might as well be home workers or users from multiple offices.
4. How many users can TourOp handle ?
There are no hard limits. As a general rule, we recommend to keep the total amount of users per system below 25. Users can connect from any computer that is connected to the internet.
5. For which type of travel industries is TourOp suitable ?
TourOp comes to its full strength in small to midsize travel enterprises with a considerable amount of tailor-made travel files. Nevertheless, pre-packed travel modules can also be added as an element to the final quotation.
6. How does the communication with my customer work ?
The main communication engine of TourOp is a integrated email application. For every new quotation, all the email traffic is stored together with all other documents of the file in question.
7. What are the main goals of TourOp ?
- To drastically reduce the manual work while making travel quotations
- To have a clear, low-memory and structured view on your email traffic
- To keep track of all your rates
- To store your data in one centralized place
- To print your documents (quotations, vouchers,...) or send them in digital version by email
- To build out your company's database with destination information, photos, movies, contacts, ...
8. What is the lifetime of a quoation ?
(a) A new file is created by the initial email which gives an overview of the customer's wishes
(b) The blanco file is shown with status “Make proposal”, until an employee makes up a proposal in TourOp and sents it out to the customer, using the integrated email engine.
(c) The file's status changes to “Waiting for client feedback”. The client can then confirm the quote.
9. Can my customers connect to TourOp ?
No. TourOp is used as internal company software. The customer receives, and replies to, emails that are sent from TourOp by the employee.
10. Which statuses can a quotation have ?
- Make a new proposal
- Waiting for client feedback
- On request
- On hold
11. Can I make more versions of one quotation ?
Yes. TourOp is especially designed to keep track of max. 25 versions of one quotation, so that the customer can confirm at any point the version that he likes most (or depending on availability).
12. Is TourOp connected to Google Maps ?
Yes. We have found that Google Maps can be very useful when working with travel routes. Each point along the route can be identified by a direct link to a Google Map. TourOp also holds a separate handy module, where employees can lookup routes and places. Google Map has further possibilities to draw a route on the map, to show photos and movies of the region, sattelite/street view, zoom & search funtionalities.
13. How does TourOp show prices on the quotation of the client ?
TourOp does not show detailed prices there. It only gives one total end price to the client for everything that is mentioned in the quotation. Of course, you have a detailed view of all your pricing elements internally.
14. Is Tourop limited to certain destinations ?
15. Is Tourop limited to certain journey types ?
All journey types are possible, but TourOp is optimized for tailor-made travel routes.
16. Our enterprise consists of several branches. Is it possible to work simultaneously from different locations ?
Yes. TourOp easily allows up to 20 simultaneous users without any impact on speed, memory or performance. Any computer that has access to the internet, is immidiately suitable to work with TourOp.
17. Can I make invoices with TourOp ?
No. TourOp is meant for the full administration of your travel files, and can not store or compile invoices. We do have a automatic connection to BookKit, which is another software package of us, and which is meant to keep track of your invoices. Files from TourOp can automatically be ported with one mouse-click to a travel contract and several invoices.
18. What is BookKit and how is it related to TourOp ?
BookKit is a lightweight software package which was developed by the same company as TourOp. BookKit is cheap and can be used to administer travel files and invoice data. For more information, see www.bookkit.be. As with TourOp, BookKit works via the browser only. TourOp is a heavier package with a different approach. TourOp allows much more quotation options; it stores all prices (hotels, services, tours, vehicles, insurances, ...) so the employee just needs to select the elements that s/he wants into a quotation. Also, BookKit does not have its internal email engine which keeps track of all email traffic per quotation.
19. How can I see when a file has a new email ?
One of the core mechanisms of TourOp is its communication engine by email. If any file receives a new mail, it is mentionned with a closed yellow envelope.
1. You create a new file
2. You make a quotation, by selecting and combining different elements (e.g. four hotels, one flight, and one car rental)
3. You send the quotation by email to the customer in TourOp
4. When the customer replies to your quotation, your file will be marked clearly at the top with a “New Mail” icon.
You stay inside TourOp at any moment, so there is no interaction with other software such as e.g. your email program, reservation programs or other.
20. Is is possible to manually set a file to “New mail” ?
Yes. The idea is the same as in MS Outlook Express, MS Outlook or MS Windows Mail. This possibility is meant for employees who want to read an email, and afterwards want to set it again as being “not read”, for example, when another employee must still read it, to not forget it later, etc. The button to set a file manually to “New mail” is at the left bottom of the mail engine.
21. Which are the benefits of TourOp, in comparison to other software ?
We feel that TourOp is a unique architecture. The internal mail engine is especially developed to keep things as clear as possible, structured per file. The emails are not stored or your computer or LAN, so there is no danger for memory overload. TourOp saves you a lot of time. All screens are logically sorted in a hierarchical navigation menu. TourOp is especially optimized for tour operators who do a considerable amount of tailor-made quotations, since this is the domain where TourOp comes to its full right.
22. Was TourOp developed in cooperation with a tour operator ?
Yes. TourOp was developed during ca. 18 months together with Zuid-Afrika Reiscenter. This enabled us to get immediate feedback, and to develop the code exactly as desired.
23. Our agency works with reservation centrals, is this possible in TourOp ?
Yes. You can administer the reservation centrals that you use via the menu Data > Parameters > Reservation centrals. In your hotel database, you can then select which reservation central to use for certain accommodation bookings.
24. Can I store driving directions for hotels, guesthouses or other accommodation ?
Yes. TourOp knows three possibilities which can be combined at wish:
- a typed description of the route
- a file which explains the driving directions, with or without a map
- integration with Google Maps
The driving instructions are, if present, automatically printed out on the accommodation voucher of the customer.
25. Can I make my quotations attractive with photos of hotels, cars, ... ?
Yes. TourOp allows up to 3 photos for each accommodation, one photo per vehicle, and an external link to a tour program which can also include photos. An employee may also add additional travel info to each quote (typically a point of interest along the route). For each point of interest, 3 photos are possible. All quotations are automatically displayed with full photos when they are present. The photos are kept small enough, so that the eventual file with travel quotation does not become too large.
26. Which documents do I need to print out ?
Neither you or the customer must print the quotation, as it is always made up in HTML. Of course, it is still possible at wish. Typically, you (or the customer) will want to print out the vouchers. One of the goals of TourOp was to save on printer ink.
27. Which language does TourOp use ?
TourOp is in English, but the actual data stands apart from this, and can be filled out in the language of your choice (descriptions, tour programs, etc.). Quotations and communication can be configured in English, Dutch, French and German.
28. Which insurances can I use ?
You can use any insurance that works with a certain percent of the total travel file, or with a fixed amount. For example, an insurance could cost 4% of the total, or could cost 20 Euro per person. You can edit your insurances in the menu under Rates > Insurances, and then use them for your quotations under Files > Overview > [Select file] > Insurance.
29. Which travel agents can I use ?
You can both work with travel agents (indirect bookins), or communicate directly with the end customer (direct bookings). TourOp is by default shipped with a list of travel agents in Belgium. You can set detailed financial information per agent (bank name, account number, bank address, BIC/SWIFT, IBAN, etc.)
30. Is TourOp integrated with Skype ?
The supplier list is equipped with a Skype field. From this page, you can directly contact the supplier by Skype. This can reduce your telephone costs when you work with many international suppliers.
31. How do I set or change the reference of a quotation ?
To create a new quotation, click Files > Create New. Then, you write in the subject line of your email the text Ref [Clientname/reference]. This will then become your internal reference through your whole quotation. Would you want to change Clientname/reference, you can do it afterwards at any time under Files > Overview > [Select File and Version] > Tab General > File name.
32. Can I make several versions of a quotation ?
Yes. You can make up to 26 versions of a file (letter A to Z). In your main overview (Files > Overview), every version is mentioned under the quotation's reference. To make a new version, simply click on the existing version letter, then click the gray button Save as new version below (the new version is now identical as the previous), and then start make changes to the new version. The earlier version remains untouched.
33. How are accommodation rates calculated ?
The accommodation rates are calculated, per place of stay, by four parameters:
- the number of overnights;
- the number of persons in a room;
- the number of rooms;
- price of the accommodation is given per person or per room.
Example 1: Hotel ABC luxury suite is €100 per person per night – we want 3 overnights – 2 persons in a room – 1 room (two persons in the same room for three days, e.g. a couple) -> total price is €100 * 3 * 2 = €600.
Example 2: Hotel XYZ standaard room is €40 per room per night – we want 4 overnights – 1 person per room – 2 rooms (two travellers who sleep in different rooms for four days) -> total price is €40 * 4 * 2 = €320.
34. Is VAT included in the prices ?
On each quotation subscreen is indicated whether or not the VAT is included, and what should be the VAT percent. This setting can be changed per screen at wish.
35. Can I show a different price total than the one that is calculated ?
Yes, you have the possibility to change the shown total for the customer under Files > Overview > [Select file] > Other > Shown total on quote. There you can equalize the shown total for the customer with the calculated total by the software; or you can enter your own adjusted price.
36. Can I make quotations with different brand names ?
Yes. Any outgoing document can be set with the appropriate logo. This can be set on a per-quote basis under Files > Overview > [Select file] > Other > Logo on quote.
37. Which currencies can I use ?
You can use any currency that you wish, with any exchange rate that you wish. The currency settings can only be configured by the administrator. There is no automatical update of the exchange rates. Generally, we recommend customers to take a pretty safe exchange rate and use that rate for a longer time period.
38. What are “descriptions” and how/where to use them ?
The item Descriptions is intended to provide the traveller with information about the points of interests that he visits along the route. Descriptions might also hold more general information about a larger region, or various tips and hints. Descriptions are full text blocks with the possibility to add three photos. The general list of all Descriptions can be found in the menu under Data > Descriptions. The employee can then add, per quotation, the relevant descriptions for the traveller's route. Generally, a quotation wins a lot of attractiveness when these things are added.
39. When I add photos, why are the allowed pixel sizes so small ?
One of the core objectives of TourOp is to provide fast and flexible access to all data. This means that binary objects (such as photos) may not consume too much memory resources. If you would have, for example, a quotation that consists of 10 hotels, a rental car and 3 descriptions, you would end up with a maximum amount of 40 photos in one file. The allowed pixel sizes are also required for nice layout settings on the quotations.
40. I have a question but I can not find it in this FAQ. Who to contact ?
Please see our contact page.